Saturday, May 1, 2010

Goins brothers bring bluegrass to Westwood


By BILL ARCHER

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
BLUEFIELD, Va. — Melvin Goins looked out on the packed house in the dining hall of Westwood Health Care Center and smiled. “You all look like a beautiful bed of roses here today,” Goins said.
Melvin Goins has been performing to audiences since 1953, but there was something special about his appearance Friday afternoon at Westwood with his gospel-singing brothers Conley, James and Harold Goins.
“I was so excited to come to this show today that I left Ashland, Ky., at about 7:20 p.m., (Thursday) night, and got up here to my brother James’ home at about 10:30 p.m.,” Melvin Goins told the audience. “Brother James gave me a hot meal of cornbread and milk and a comfortable place to stretch out for the night. I got about seven hours of sleep, and I was ready to go again. This is just such a great thrill for me.”

Goins, 76, is a native of Freeman near Bramwell. He and his brother, the late Ray Goins, joined Ezra Cline and the Lonesome Pine Fiddlers in 1953 and Melvin Goins has been entertaining bluegrass music lovers ever since. Full story...

No comments: