Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mike Andes Fiddles


Michael Andes Fiddles - What's Up With This?


Mike plays mandolin, guitar and bass, but has never shown a desire to play a fiddle. We all know Mike is a talented singer, songwriter and mandolinist with Nothin’ Fancy, but we didn’t know of his hidden talents with woodworking.

Before playing music professionally, Mike was sawing, sanding, carving and building things with wood. Well he’s back at it again, but this time it’s not chairs, tables, chests, custom moldings or cabinets; it’s fiddles.

Why fiddles - why not mandolins? When asked, Mike simply says “I don’t play fiddle, so it’s very rewarding to hear someone else play what I’ve created.”

Mike uses Chris Sexton as his test pilot. Chris plays each fiddle and gives Mike his honest opinion and suggestions. Mike has built eight fiddles so far. The first one was given to his oldest brother, Randy. Mitchell Davis plays one of Mike’s fiddles on twin fiddle songs with Chris and “I’ve sold one,” says Mike with a grin.

Mike is currently in the process of building Chris a five string fiddle. “That’s how I pay my test pilot,” says Mike. “Each fiddle I’ve built has its own character; this intrigues me as a woodworker and drives me to build one after another. I don’t think I’ll quit my day job with Nothin’ Fancy to build fiddles full time, but I must say I do enjoy this new step into my old trade.”

Mike signs, dates and numbers each fiddle and they are available for purchase. Contact Mike at mike@nothinfancybluegrass.com for information, pictures and prices.

No comments: